Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Monday, August 30, 2010
The one thing I think I will have the biggest problem with is the eating after eight. I rarely eat snacks after 8 but sometimes we eat dinner after then. My husband comes home pretty late some nights and we like to have dinner together. But I think I'm just going to have to try to be better at that. Anyway, I'm excited to see how this goes!!!
I have been thinking about doing this challenge now for a couple weeks. I'm excited to take control of my life and do something to improve it. I was looking for a program to add structure and organize my life so when I heard Denise talk about it, I knew it was for me - and my family. We are all doing it but I am the only one who will be competing with this group. Our family is excited about it and it's something we can do together. I have struggled with an eating disorder since my divorce 4 years ago. For some reason, I quit eating, probably because of the stress, maybe because I wasn't hungry. I developed an eating disorder without even knowing it and it took me 3 years to realize it. I have tried very hard to get back on track, be healthy - physically, mentally and spiritually. All the things I see on this challenge will help me get my life where it needs to be. I may not get a point for loosing a pound every week like everyone else but I will try very hard to make up on the other points. I'm excited to be able to participate and meet others who will be sharing their stories. Good luck to everyone.
I've always been overweight, though spending the last few years in the upper 200s has not been my best showing. I have two kids and a part time job that keep me busy. And when I get stressed, I eat. I'll be working on that one.
I love to swim, so I plan to be at the pool often and I've dusted off the exercise bike for the rest of the days (I hear it calling to me now). I'm hoping to get a few more real bike rides in before it gets cool. I want to do a mini-triathalon next year (wow, I typed that out loud, that's something that's been in the back of my head for years--you know what they say about writing down goals). And after that, maybe a real triathalon!
Good luck everyone!
I know it is daring, but my most up to date photo is from a family trip to the beach a couple of months back. Maybe if all goes well I will post a picture of me in my bathing suite on the last day of the challenge.
I am Brandi, I like Denise have been overweight my entire life. I remember going into Jr. High I wore a size 13 in woman's but was short so my mom would have to cut six or so inches off my pants so they wouldn't drag. My dream is to be back in a size 13 again. Last challenge I won, YEAH, however during the past two months I have packed on 13 of the 20lbs I lost. I am not too happy with that and am determined to get those 13 off and more. I weighted in this morning at 210.4 ugh!! When I got under 200 last challenge I vowed to never have a 2 in front of my high number again, sad to be there again. I am married to a man that has never had a weight problem, he still weighs what he did 20 years ago when we got married. I have 5 kids and 2 grandchildren, 4 at home. I am busy with work, kids, sports etc. just like most of you. I am not a good planner, I don't plan meals and shop ahead, that is something I am determined to work on this challenge. Also I have seemed to developed some food intolerance's, not sure to what, dairy, wheat, not sure, but do find I often have an upset stomach and am constantly very tired. I would like to spend some time with this journaling how I feel after eating and find some answers to my discomfort. I have found that when I am uncomfortable after eating, I for some reason eat more like it is going to make me feel better. Best wishes to all challengers, it will be fun getting to know you over the next 12 weeks!
So, here's a little about me. I am Denise, and I started this fitness challenge as a way to motivate me to FINALLY lose weight and be healthier overall. I have been overweight basically all of my life, but weighing in at 231.4 this morning means I'm at my biggest ever. What an accomplishment! ;) I did the fitness challenge during my last pregnancy and after I had the baby I was down to 221. I felt great (comparably). Then stress/life happened and I gained 10 pounds just like that. Why do I think food is such a stress relief?!? I have five children, and you'd think that'd keep me busy enough to get plenty of exercise and not enough time to snack so much. Having no treats -- especially after 8 p.m. -- is going to be hard, but I'm really going to dig in and see what I can do.
This summer I had a little mini mission reunion with some women from my LDS mission. I didn't like how the picture turned out:
Bet you would have guessed I'm the one on the far right, huh? ;) Too bad I happened to stand next to her. I feel huge! Doesn't help that these women are all thin, but I really didn't like the look of myself in this picture. I'm hoping to lose 20+ pounds over the next 12 weeks so this year's family pictures look great. :) Good luck to you all -- I'm excited for this challenge.
Please post a little intro to yourself so we can all know who we're supporting (or, rather, who the competition is ... ;) . Remember this post doesn't count as a bonus point (you don't get that until next week's points), but it'd be great to get to know everyone better.
Saturday, August 28, 2010
- Jennifer Hoisington
- Mrs. Kunz (sorry, I didn't get your name :)
- Lee Rittinger
- Sylvia Palmer
- Rachel Barahona
- Denise Brown
- Tania Knutson Palica*
- Dawn Rokovitz*
- Leslie Hendricksen*
- Melissa Laing*
- Wendy Patterson
- Brandi Adams
*Already paid (Lee, Jennifer will send your money in with hers)
If you haven't sent in your money yet, go ahead and do it now, because you'll want those five bonus points! :)
If anyone would like a copy of my food journal/chart, please let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. (It's a one-sheet chart for the entire week.)
Other than that, please let me know if you have any questions!!! I'd love for you to all post an intro to yourselves next week (it doesn't count as your bonus-point post, but it's good to get to know each other). If you're comfortable, let us know your starting weight, or at least keep track of it yourself so you can post how much you've lost by the end.
Good luck to you all!!! (But not TOO much luck since I'd like to beat you ... ;)
Saturday, August 14, 2010
If you would like to get a bit healthier and lose a little weight, this challenge is for you! It will be joined by people just like you -- ordinary people who want to shed a few pounds. Last challenge we lost more than 100 pounds! The top three competitors lost 20 pounds each. (The winner isn’t determined by who loses the most weight, but it’s sure a nice bonus! :)
Each person pays $20 to enter, and the entire pot goes to the winners.
Here are the rules: There are 10 possible points per day:
- 1 point for keeping a food journal
- 1 point for drinking 8+ cups of water (1 c = 8 oz)
- 1 point for not eating any treats (use your own judgment on what is a treat, and yes, even one little M&M counts – the point is to start thinking before we eat!)
- 1 point for not eating after 8 p.m.
- 1 point for exercising 30+ minutes
- 1 point for taking a multi-vitamin and/or calcium
- 1 point for not skipping any meals
- 1 point for not overeating during any meals or snacks (again, use your own honest judgment)
- 1 point for reading the Book of Mormon for 20+ minutes per day (spiritual health)*
- 1 point for writing 2 to 3 items you’re grateful for (mental health – but no repeating any items on your gratitude list :)
Also, there will be 1 bonus point every week that you lose weight (1 point for losing weight, not 1 point per pound); and there will be 1 bonus point every week that you post on the blog how you did. Five bonus points will be available for sending your money ($20) during the first two weeks of the challenge. (If you don't send your money by the end of week 4, you are no longer eligible for the pot at the end, so get your $ in soon!)
Winner takes 75 percent of the pot ($15 for each competitor). Second-place winner gets 25 percent of the pot ($5 for each competitor). Last winner earned $120 for her 20-pound weight loss. Awesome!!!
This challenge begins Aug. 30, 2010 – just in time to get into a good routine with your kids going back to school. It will go for 12 weeks and end on Nov. 22, 2010. Round up your friends and let's make this challenge bigger and better than ever!
If you're interested in joining, just post a comment with your e-mail (feel free to use at instead of @) and I'll add you to the list of people who can post comments.
* If you’re not LDS you can read in the Bible for 20+ minutes – or give the Book of Mormon a try. :) Every person I know who has lost weight has had a spiritual experience as well. In any case, since they seem to go hand in hand, I figured I’d add it to this challenge. Just in case you wanted to know how it fit in with fitness …
You really like details? Here are a few more details about how this works …
- Scores are kept from Monday through Sunday. Every Monday (starting Sept. 6) you will report the number of points you have earned by doing a post on this blog. (You will all receive invites to be authors for the blog. Let me know if you don’t.)
- You get one extra point for posting on the blog every Monday.
- You get one extra point if you lost any weight (not a point per pound, but a point total for any weight loss.)
- These extra points should be added to the next week's score since points end on Sunday. (It doesn't really matter too much which week you add it to, as long as you only add it once. :)
- Treats are going to be personally defined. You all know what you consider treats. And any little bit counts.
- You're all on your honor -- it's the only way this challenge can work.
- Don't forget to send me your money in by the end of week 4 so you're eligible for the pot. (And if you get it in by the end of week 2 you get 5 bonus points.)
- You are responsible to keep track of your own points throughout the challenge. This is why posting on the blog is a good idea -- then at the end you can just go back to your posts and add up the total.
- Total points must be posted by Nov. 25, 2010 (Thanksgiving) so the definite winner can be announced by Nov. 29, 2010.