Monday, October 12, 2009

Consequences

I am overwhelmed with choices right now. I met with the surgeon and saw his presentation. He presented that 90% of our weight is genetics. I don't think I agree. I know that we can always overcome weakness. Addiction can be beat. I know that I could lose this weight on my own. But it would probably take total devotion. Focus on myself. Time to plan a menu and cook almost every meal. Time to myself to find something to overcome the boredom, frustration, stress that usually
lead my to overeating.

I don't have that kind of time right now. Or at least it feels that way. If you look at just the statistics, the surgery has great results. The best, actually. My mom told me about another person who died. That's three women I have heard of. I mean we are talking DEATH. I talked about it with my husband last night. I told him I could only do this if he could handle that risk and all of the possible consequences. He would have to go on if I were to die and be happy and not give up emotionally. Can you imagine being a single parent to eight?

He says he is willing to accept that although he doesn't think it is going to happen. The chances are lower if you are young. And the experience of the Dr. is very important here. Both are things I would have going for me.

I am still scared though. I LOVE life. I am thinking about trying for one more year or maybe six months before I get serious. Maybe weight watchers. I want to make the right decision. It is so big. With consequences.

But as my husband said, if I stay this weight, I am at risk for so many things also. I know that my weight has to change, I just have to figure out how.

Oh, one more tempting fact, I asked Dr. Belnap his long term success rate and he said it was 85%. The nurse said the thought it was slightly higher. My friend who used him as her Dr. is doing great and her dad and sister have both kept the weight off. Her dad for 4 yrs. and her sister for 3 yrs. My friend said she would do it again and it has changed her family's lives. Her husband was very worried about losing her and it took him a long time to get on board. Should I be offended that Trent isn't more worried? Just Kidding, he is such a scientist and is calmed by the low rates of death. They are about the same as any regular surgery.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see that you're weight both side of this. I knkow that you will make the right choice for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete