Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Weekly goal

WOO-HOO with an extra hoo for good measure! (Sorry, an old co-worker said that all the time. :) Way to go Gwen!!! I am so excited for you to be down 10 pounds.

Me, on the other hand ... not so exciting. Between last week and this week no change. I'm thinking Gwen's sprints are a great idea. Too bad I don't have a treadmill, don't want to go to the gym for 10 minutes, and would feel too silly to go running around my neighborhood (although I'm sure it'd give my neighbors a kick).

As for fruits and veggies, I think what Gwen mentioned is why I eat less veggies as well -- most fruits you can eat fresh, but you have prep time with veggies. Back in my single years I ate more veggies because I prepared them all at once -- my roommate and I would get home from the grocery store and prepare all the veggies right then -- wash them off, split them into single-serving bags, etc. Then we could either grab a bag to take for a snack or throw them quickly into a steamer. I've also heard the Steamers bags of veggies are great for lunch -- at least my mom likes 'em. Other than that, I'll take any other suggestions people have to eat more veggies. I sure don't think I'm giving my kids enough ... and it doesn't help that our kitchen is a mess since it will be torn out next week to make way for our new kitchen. (Although I plan to have a fruit bowl on the counter in the new kitchen that will hopefully make me want to snack healthier.)

Anyway, I thought I'd post a weekly goal on this quest for living more healthy. My goal for this week is to start taking my daily multi-vitamins again. I started taking a premium-performance vitamin (from Costco) with fish oil everyday a while ago, and I was amazed by the results. When my hubby told me he could feel a difference when he took them, I actually made fun of him ... until I tried them. No, they don't make me want to jump up and exercise; but they do make me okay getting out of bed. When I don't take them I HATE mornings. When I take them mornings don't seem so bad. That's a good enough reason for me.

And as for fish oil, I don't eat fish (don't like it) and therefore don't get the nutritional benefits from it. I read in prevention years ago that fish oil helps thwart off depression, so I have my hubby take it as well since he has a history of depression. I have gotten about 5 or 6 other people taking these vitamins and fish oil, and all of them also see great results with their energy. Although I think they're great, somehow I have gotten out of the habit of taking them, so that is my goal for this week. That and catching up with Gwen ... :)

1 comment:

  1. Try B6 and B12 supplements. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in, but you'll have tons of energy if you take them regularly. Our nutritionist used to give us B vitamin injections every week and I couldn't believe the difference. My DR said you could do the same with the plain old pill style, but it takes a bit longer to build up in your system. My only suggestion for veges is what we do-I steam everything. My husband just likes everything with olive oil and fresh lemon and a little low sodium salt and pepper. That's how I serve all our veges-and believe it or not my daughters love broccoli "trees", always have.

    ReplyDelete