Monday, September 14, 2009

week two - 58 points

So I didn't do well last week either. I only got 58 points (plus one bonus for posting last Mon if we are doing that) I found that eating my fruits and vegies is easy with all the vegies growing in my garden, but when it comes to snacking and exercising I fall. It's easy to make excuses, but I'm not going to instead I'm going to list two recipes I enjoy (thanks Denise for the idea).

For lunch I found a low carb recipe that I love. I store the rinsed black beans in the fridge. They keep for about 2 weeks.

Black Bean Quesadilla
From Healthylivingonline.com

1 flour tortilla
1/2 tsp oil
1/4 cup diced scallions
1 Tbsp diced green chili peppers
1/2 oz low fat cheese
1/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed

Coat bottom of non stick skillet with oil, place tortilla in skillet. Layer beans, cheese, peppers and onions onto half of tortilla and fold other half over top to close. Cook until bottom is brown the flip and brown other side. Serve when beans are warm and cheese is melted. Serve with salsa.
calories 297
fat 7 g (sat fat 2 g)
chol 5 mg
carbs 49 g
sodium 400 mg (less because you rinsed the black beans, even less if you get low sodium caned beans)
fiber 9 g
protein 12 g

Chocolate Zucchini Bread
From Trim and Terrific Diabetic Cooking By Holly Clegg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or all purpose if you don't have wheat flour)
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 chopped walnuts (can be left out)
1/4 cup fat-free milk

Preheat oven to 350F Coat loaf pan with non stick spray
In bowl combine flours, cocoa, soda, cinnamon and baking powder (and vanilla if using powdered vanilla) In different bowl combine sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir in zucchini and walnuts.
Add 1/3 of flour mixture each time, add flour mixture alternating with the milk to the zucchini mixture, stirring slightly after each addition.
Transfer batter to pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clan.

Exchanges 1 1/2 starch
1 fat
calories 177 (fat 72)
total fat 8 g (sat fat 1 g)
cholesterol 27 mg
sodium 108 mg
Total carb 24 g (sugars 14 g)
Protein 3 g

Hope we all have a great 3 week.


No comments:

Post a Comment